If you`re a tenant in New York City, there might come a time when you need to sublease your apartment. Maybe you`re leaving town for a few months or you can`t afford your rent anymore. Whatever the reason may be, it`s important to have a sublease agreement in place to protect yourself and your subtenant.
A sublease agreement is a legal contract that outlines the terms and conditions of subletting your apartment. It`s important that the agreement is written and signed by both you and your subtenant, and that you both fully understand the terms and conditions.
To help you get started, we`ve put together an example sublease agreement for NYC:
This Sublease Agreement (“Agreement”) is made and entered into on [insert date] by and between [insert name of original tenant] (“Sublessor”) and [insert name of subtenant] (“Subtenant”).
1. Property. Sublessor agrees to sublease to Subtenant a portion of the premises commonly known as [insert address], including [insert details of the portion being sublet, such as specific rooms or areas].
2. Term. The term of this sublease shall be from [insert start date] to [insert end date]. Subtenant will vacate and surrender the sublet portion of the premises to Sublessor at the end of the term.
3. Rent. Subtenant agrees to pay rent of [insert rental amount] per month for the duration of the sublease term. Rent shall be paid on [insert due date] each month.
4. Security Deposit. Subtenant shall provide a security deposit of [insert amount] to Sublessor upon the signing of this Agreement. The security deposit shall be returned to Subtenant at the end of the sublease term, provided that there are no outstanding rent or damages owed by Subtenant.
5. Utilities. Subtenant shall be responsible for paying for all utilities necessary for the sublet portion of the premises, including but not limited to electricity, gas, and internet.
6. Use and Occupancy. Subtenant shall use and occupy the sublet portion of the premises in a safe and responsible manner, and shall comply with all laws, rules, and regulations of the building and the city. Subtenant shall not use the sublet portion of the premises for any illegal or immoral purposes.
7. Alterations. Subtenant shall not make any alterations to the sublet portion of the premises without the written consent of Sublessor.
8. Notice. Subtenant shall provide Sublessor with at least [insert notice period] days` written notice prior to vacating the sublet portion of the premises.
9. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York.
10. Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and supersedes all prior negotiations, understandings, and agreements between the parties.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Sublease Agreement on the date first written above.
[Insert signature lines for Sublessor and Subtenant]
Remember, this is just an example sublease agreement and you should modify it as needed to suit your specific circumstances and needs. It`s always a good idea to consult with a lawyer experienced in NYC tenant law to ensure that your sublease agreement is legally valid and protects your rights and interests.